Hotel & hospitality
Why commit to a CSR approach in the hotel industry?
Beyond meeting any possible obligations, committing to a CSR approach creates value for hotel investors and operators. As a result, Honotel MDO offers its know-how in steering the CSR strategy for a hotel.
Thanks to our tailor-made support, which takes into account the business contingencies and intrinsic characteristics of each asset, you will see that in hospitality, values have value! CSR engagement should not be seen as a constraint, but as an opportunity to:
• increase the attractiveness of the asset by strengthening its reputation
• promote the work of employees and increase their loyalty in order to provide better customer service
• improve relations with its stakeholders
• create a strong brand identity and differentiate from the competition
• attract new clientele targets
• reduce costs (water, energy, laundry)
At Honotel MDO, we have implemented a pragmatic CSR engagement method. Whether it is more focused on the environmental, corporate or societal responsibility of your assets, our strategy is always realistic, adapted and progressive. It consists of 4 stages:
- Asset analysis
- Choosing a suitable reference framework
- Strategy implementation
- Monitoring & progress
• constructing the budget allocated to the approach
• defining the progressive and continuous improvement plan for the approach
• developing a CSR charter, based on priority actions (water and energy consumption, CO2 emissions, waste reduction, etc.)
• choosing a reference framework for the purchasing policy
• developing a supplier commitment charter to which the hotel's suppliers and service providers must adhere by respecting the principles defined therein (ethics, working conditions, health and safety, environment)
• creating a staff training plan
• implementing actions for well-being in the workplace
• creating monitoring indicators (water and energy consumption, waste volumes, etc.)
• implementing a communication strategy and identifying communication opportunities with regard to clientele and employee targets.
Case study: support with rolling out a CSR reference framework for 12 hotels
In order to meet the legal obligations of a hotel investment fund, Honotel MDO has supported its management company in its CSR commitments to its investors. We steered its choice of a suitable CSR label and then coordinated its implementation across the 12 hotels in its portfolio.
In order to meet the expectations of the fund’s investors as closely as possible, we helped the Société de Gestion de Portefeuille (SGP) to choose the Affichage Environnemental label.
This voluntary label, supported by ADEME (French Agency for Ecological Transition), helps to improve environmental performance with a dual objective:
• raising awareness of responsible consumption
• encouraging sustainable production
State of play & projects accomplished
In the case of hotels, the Affichage Environnemental label measures the environmental footprint of an overnight stay with breakfast according to 4 environmental criteria:
• the greenhouse effect
• water consumption
• energy consumption
• share of organic and eco-labelled products
The calculation of the environmental footprint gives the hotel a score between A and E. The resulting environmental label is displayed in the hotel.
We assisted the portfolio management company in selecting a specialist in environmental labelling for the tourism sector: Betterfly Tourism.
With the help of its digital and consulting solutions, we guided the hotel operator through all the stages of implementing a CSR strategy in each of the hotels:
• support with the one-day audit
• awarding of the environmental label
• management of the customised action plan to be implemented according to the score obtained
• advice on prioritising the actions to be taken according to the objectives
The 12 assets of the investment fund were labelled with grades B (5 hotels), C (6) and D (1).
We use our expertise to help investors maximise their performance. Through Honotel’s dual expertise in investment and hotel management, we can assist investors with a wide range of business issues, such as opening a hotel or bringing a public establishment (ERP) into compliance.